Skip to main content

Friday's Sermon: Jihad According To Islam

 Friday, May 23th, 2014

Today, I was doing Shalah Jum'ah at Great Mosque Habiburrahman, placed near the Indonesian Aerospace (PT. Dirgantara Indonesia), Bandung. The mosque its self is not so big, but it's big enough to receives people to pray shalah Jum'ah. The material of the sermon is about Jihad.

When we heard the word "jihad", most of us are led to think about something in the bad connotation like wars, terrorisms, bombs, etc...etc. This is the common perceptions of recent people's thought about jihad. They don't really know what jihad means in Islam. And on the contrary, people who is non-Moslem often identifies that "Islam is all about terrorism". But let us dive a bit more deeply to know more about What is Jihad According To Islam?
Literally Jihad is derived from the word Jahada, which means to struggle or to fight with all of our capability we have. And terminologically, Jihad means to fight or to struggle in the way of Allah and with the name of Allah SWT.
We cannot renege that Jihad means to fight (in war) as The Prophet (PBUH) often said jihad as fighting (in war). But there are also other kinds of meaning which show us that Jihad is not only about fighting in the war.
There are two kinds of jihad: Jihad in the particular term, and Jihad in the general term.

Jihad in the particular term
In the particular term, jihad is meant to be 'everything that is done to gain and show our fidelity to Allah SWT'.
Let I (the preacher) give some examples.
1. Jihad as Doing Hajj-Mabrur
Jihad in Islam also means as "Doing Hajj-Mabrur" for women as shown in Hadist below:

عَنْ عَائِشَةَ أُمِّ الْمُؤْمِنِيْنَ رَضِيَ اللهُ عَنْهَا اَنَّهَا قَالَتْ: يَا رَسُولَ اللهِ, نَرَى الْجِهَادَ أَفْضَلَ الْعَمَلِ, أَفَلَا نُجَاهِدُ؟ قَالَ: لَا, لَكُنَّ أَفْضَلُ الْجِهَادِ حَجٌّ مَبْرُورٌ. ( وَفِيْ رِوَايَةٍ: سَأَلَهُ نِسَاؤُهُ عَنِ الْحَجِّ, فَقَالَ: نِعْمَ الْجِهَادُ الْحَجُّ )

Narrated ‘Aisha, the mother of the faithful believers Radhiyallahu 'anha: I said, “O Allah’s Apostle! We consider Jihad as the best deed. Shouldn't I go to Jihad?” The Prophet SAW said, “The best Jihad (for women) is Hajj-Mabrur”. (In another riwayah: The Prophet SAW was asked by his wives about Hajj, The Prophet SAW said: "Best of Jihad is the Hajj.") (Sahih Bukhari-595).
 2. Serve Our Parents is as equal as Jihad
One day, a man came to The Prophet (PBUH) and asked if he was allowed to join in to fight in the war. But The Prophet (PBUH) questioned him whether his parents were still alive or not. That man replied that they were. Then The Prophet said to stay and serve his parents is his jihad.
This is based on this Hadist:

 حَدَّثَنَا آدَمْ حَدَّثَنَا شُعْبَة حَدَّثَنَا حَبِيْب بْن أَبِي ثَابِتْ قَالَ سَمِعْت أَبَا الْعَبَّاس الشَّاعِر وَكَانَ لا  يُتَّهَم فِي حَدِيْثِه قَالَ سَمِعْت عَبْدُ الله بْن عَمْرِو رَضِيَ الله عَنْهُمَا يَقُولُ جَاء رَجُل إِلَى النَّبِيّ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَاسْتَاْذَنَه فِي الْجِهَاد فَقَالَ أَحَي وَّ الِدِاكَ قَالَ نَعَم قَالَ فَفِيهِمَا فَجَاهِد 

Had told to us Adam, had told to us Syu'ban, had told to us Habib bin Abi Tsabit said I heard Abu Al 'Abbas Asy-sya'ir, he is not a bad person in telling Hadist, he said I listened 'Abdullah bin 'Amru radliallahu 'anhu said: "Came a man to The Prophet SAW and then asked the permission to come to Jihad. The Prophet SAW said: "are your parents alive?" He replied: "Yes, they are". The Prophet SAW said: "To both of them is your jihad." (Sahih Bukhari-2782).

Jihad in The General Term
Jihad in general term means to fight in the war as The Prophet (PBUH) referred as based on this hadist:

حَدَّثَنَا الْحَسَنْ بْن صَبَّاح حَدَّثَنَا محمد بْن سَابِقْ حَدَّثَنَا مَالِكْ بْن مِغْوَل قَالَ سَمِعْتُ الْوَلِيدْ بْن الْعَيْزَار ذَكَرَ عَن أَبِي عَمْرِو الشَّيْبَانِي قَالَ قَال عَبْدُالله بْن مَسْعُود رَضِيَ الله عَنْهُ سَأَلت رَسُول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قُلت يَا رَسُول الله أَيّ الْعَمَل أَفْضَلُ قَالَ  الصَّلَاة عَلَى مِيقَاتِهَا قُلْت ثُمَّ أَيّ قَالَ ثُمَّ بِرُّ الْوَالِدَيْنِ قُلْت ثُمَّ أَيّ قَالَ الجِهَاد فِي سَبِيل الله فَسَكَتّ عَن رَسُول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم وَلَوْ اسْتَزَدْتُه لَزَادَنِي


Barrakallahu li walakum...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Derita Laptop Ganti: Sahabat Lama Menjadi Asing Bagiku

Sekitar satu tahun yang lalu, aku dan kakakku Mba Lala , tukeran laptop karena ada sedikit masalah dengan OS laptop mba lala, jadi aku memutuskan untuk membawanya buat dibenerin di comlabs aja. Satu tahun berlalu, hari demi hari aku lalui bersama laptop mba lala itu. Susah dan duka (susah dan duka ?) aku lalui bersama laptop toshiba hitam berkulit berudu. Ada kalanya seneng, ada kalanya juga engga. Ada kalanya dia responsif, tapi ada kalanya juga bebel ngambek engga nurut gerakan jari jemari yang bikin hati kesel. Tapi lebih dari itu, tanpa terasa ikatan batin antara aku dan laptop yang engga bisa aktifin bluetooth itu terjalin begitu kuat. Aku seolah tahu dimana letak file movie hanya mengklik ini dan itu dengan mata terpejam bahkan sambil tidur dan mimpi lelap. Aku sudah terbiasa dengan tata letak, environment, dan workspace yang terbangun didalamnya. Dan yang paling penting, laptop tipe satelite itu telah membantuku dalam menyelesaikan berbagai badai tubes dan tucil, membantuku di...

Violin Diary #1: Tanah Airku

This is my first time ever to record me playing the violin. I've been learning to play a violin for about 5-6 months by self-taught. It's pretty hard, but for me it's less hard than to play a guitar. It's not purrfect, in fact there are a lot of mistakes here and there, but I never give up, and I'll never give in. The song I play is called Tanah Airku which is one of Indonesian national song. It's beautiful if it's being played nicely. If you find that it's not beautiful enough, perhaps it's me that can't play it properly yet, for that I say sorry. hihihi...

My Blog's Template (Is it beautiful enough?)

Choosing template for our blog is a little bit difficult because we need to make sure it has a nice structure, easily used and perhaps fit in our style or our soul or our wish. Some blogs I found have sooo good in arranging their view so that I can easily browse its contents and also have an eye catching style which makes my eyes keep open. But some blogs also have (if I can say) terrible design which I won't be able to see it twice. It has a lot of ads here and there, it has awful structures like: "I don't know where to begin with" and "I don't know what function is this button for" or "it has bad color choosing", it has so many pictures and some gifs and our cursor is changed into something gross, and so on. Choosing template or theme or our blog's design no needs to be very beautiful (even I don't say that mine is), but at least it has a 'good' design that allows reader to read it easily. I've tried to create template...